Learn about the ingredients of Durvet ivermectin paste 1.87, a popular medication used for the treatment and control of parasites in horses. Find out how this paste works and its potential side effects.
Durvet Ivermectin Paste 1.87 Ingredients
When it comes to treating and preventing parasitic infections in horses, Durvet Ivermectin Paste 1.87 is a trusted and effective solution. This paste contains a powerful active ingredient that targets a wide range of internal and external parasites, ensuring the health and well-being of your equine companion.
The key component of Durvet Ivermectin Paste 1.87 is ivermectin, a medication that belongs to the class of drugs known as anthelmintics. Ivermectin works by disrupting the nervous system of parasites, leading to their paralysis and eventual death. It is highly effective against various types of worms, including strongyles, roundworms, pinworms, and lungworms.
Not only does Durvet Ivermectin Paste 1.87 target internal parasites, but it also helps control external parasites such as mites and lice. This broad spectrum of action makes it a valuable tool in preventing and treating infestations that can negatively impact your horse’s health and performance.
It is important to note that Durvet Ivermectin Paste 1.87 is designed specifically for horses and should not be used on other animals. Additionally, proper dosage and administration guidelines should be followed to ensure the safety and effectiveness of the treatment. Consult with your veterinarian to determine the appropriate dosage for your horse and to address any specific concerns or questions you may have.
Unveiling the Key Components of Durvet Ivermectin Paste 1.87
Durvet Ivermectin Paste 1.87 is a widely used medication for the treatment of parasites in horses. This paste contains several key components that make it effective in eradicating internal and external parasites.
The main active ingredient in Durvet Ivermectin Paste 1.87 is Ivermectin. It is a powerful antiparasitic drug that belongs to the macrocyclic lactone class. Ivermectin works by affecting the nervous system of parasites, causing paralysis and death. It is highly effective against a wide range of internal and external parasites, including roundworms, lungworms, mites, lice, and ticks.
2. Inactive Ingredients
In addition to Ivermectin, Durvet Ivermectin Paste 1.87 contains a variety of inactive ingredients that help to stabilize and enhance the effectiveness of the medication. These inactive ingredients may include glycerin, propylene glycol, sorbitol, and apple flavoring. These ingredients ensure that the paste is palatable and easy to administer to horses.
|Ivermectin||Main active ingredient, kills parasites|
|Inactive Ingredients||Stabilize and enhance medication effectiveness|
Durvet Ivermectin Paste 1.87 is a trusted choice for horse owners and veterinarians when it comes to parasite control. The combination of Ivermectin and the inactive ingredients ensures that the medication is both effective and easy to administer. It is important to follow the recommended dosage and administration guidelines to ensure the best results and to protect the health and well-being of the horses.
Discover the Ingredients that Make It Effective
The Durvet Ivermectin Paste 1.87 is formulated with several key ingredients that contribute to its effectiveness in treating various parasitic infections in horses. These ingredients include:
- Ivermectin: This is the active ingredient in Durvet Ivermectin Paste 1.87 and is responsible for its anthelmintic properties. Ivermectin works by targeting the nervous system of parasites, causing paralysis and ultimately leading to their death.
- Propylene Glycol: This ingredient serves as a vehicle to help deliver the ivermectin effectively and evenly throughout the horse’s body. It also helps improve the palatability of the paste.
- Apple Flavors: To enhance the taste and make it more appealing to horses, apple flavors are added to the paste. This encourages horses to willingly consume the medication.
- Silicon Dioxide: Silicon dioxide is used as an anti-caking agent to prevent the paste from clumping and to ensure consistent distribution of the active ingredient.
- Methylparaben: Methylparaben is a preservative that helps extend the shelf life of the product and maintain its potency.
- Propylparaben: Similar to methylparaben, propylparaben acts as a preservative to prevent the growth of bacteria and fungi in the paste.
These ingredients work synergistically to provide effective treatment against a wide range of internal and external parasites in horses. It is important to follow the recommended dosage and administration instructions to ensure optimal results and minimize potential side effects.
Understanding the Role of Ivermectin in the Paste
Ivermectin is a key component of Durvet Ivermectin Paste 1.87, and understanding its role within the paste is essential to comprehending its effectiveness as a treatment for various parasitic infestations in horses.
What is Ivermectin?
Ivermectin is a broad-spectrum antiparasitic medication that belongs to the avermectin class of drugs. It is derived from the fermentation of the soil bacterium Streptomyces avermitilis and has been widely used for its efficacy in treating parasitic infections in both animals and humans.
How does Ivermectin work?
Ivermectin works by targeting the nervous system of parasites, specifically the neurotransmitter gamma-aminobutyric acid (GABA) and glutamate-gated chloride channels. These channels are essential for the proper functioning of the parasite’s nervous system. By binding to these channels, Ivermectin disrupts the normal transmission of nerve impulses, leading to paralysis and eventual death of the parasites.
Furthermore, Ivermectin also affects the reproductive system of parasites, inhibiting their ability to reproduce and multiply. This dual mechanism of action makes Ivermectin highly effective against a wide range of internal and external parasites, including nematodes, mites, lice, and certain types of flies.
Why is Ivermectin used in Durvet Ivermectin Paste 1.87?
Durvet Ivermectin Paste 1.87 utilizes Ivermectin as its active ingredient due to its proven efficacy and safety profile. The paste formulation allows for easy administration and ensures accurate dosing for horses of various sizes.
By including Ivermectin in the paste, Durvet aims to provide horse owners with a reliable and convenient solution for controlling and treating parasitic infestations in their animals. Regular use of Durvet Ivermectin Paste 1.87 can help prevent parasitic burdens and maintain the overall health and well-being of horses.
Examining the Other Active Ingredients
Aside from its main active ingredient, Ivermectin, Durvet Ivermectin Paste 1.87 also contains a few other key components that contribute to its effectiveness. These additional ingredients serve specific purposes and enhance the overall performance of the product.
Glycerin is a non-toxic liquid that is commonly used in pharmaceutical and skincare products. In Durvet Ivermectin Paste 1.87, glycerin serves as a vehicle, helping to evenly distribute the active ingredients and improve the overall consistency of the paste. Its moisturizing properties also help to keep the paste soft and easy to administer.
2. Propylene Glycol
Propylene Glycol is another common ingredient found in various medications and personal care products. In this paste, it acts as a humectant, which means it helps to retain moisture, preventing the paste from drying out. This ensures that the product remains effective and easy to administer over time.
3. Apple Flavor
To make the paste more palatable to horses, Durvet Ivermectin Paste 1.87 is flavored with apple. The pleasant taste helps to mask the potentially bitter or unpleasant taste of the active ingredients, making it easier to administer the paste orally. This flavoring also encourages horses to readily accept the medication, making the dosing process less stressful for both the horse and the person administering it.
Overall, the combination of ivermectin, glycerin, propylene glycol, and apple flavor in Durvet Ivermectin Paste 1.87 ensures that the medication is not only effective but also easy to administer and well-tolerated by horses.
Exploring the Inactive Ingredients in the Paste
The Durvet Ivermectin Paste 1.87 contains various inactive ingredients that play a crucial role in the formulation and stability of the product. These inactive ingredients include:
- Butylated hydroxyanisole (BHA): An antioxidant that helps preserve the potency of the active ingredient and extend the shelf life of the paste.
- Edetate disodium: A chelating agent that helps improve the stability of the product by binding to trace metals that may be present.
- Glycerol formal: A solvent that assists in the dispersion of the active ingredient and other ingredients in the paste.
- Hydroxypropyl cellulose: A thickening agent that gives the paste its consistency and helps to suspend the active ingredient evenly throughout the product.
- Methylparaben: A preservative that prevents the growth of microorganisms and extends the shelf life of the paste.
- Propylparaben: Another preservative that works in conjunction with methylparaben to enhance the effectiveness of the preservative system.
- Propylene glycol: A humectant that helps to keep the paste from drying out and maintain its texture and consistency.
- Sodium hydroxide: A pH adjuster that ensures the product remains at the appropriate pH level for stability and efficacy.
- Sorbitol: A sweetening agent that enhances the palatability of the paste and makes it more appealing to animals.
- Water: The base of the paste and a solvent that helps dissolve and disperse the other ingredients.
Although these ingredients are inactive and do not directly contribute to the therapeutic effect of the paste, they are essential for ensuring the stability, effectiveness, and palatability of the product.